Sunday, May 22, 2011

OMG! I wasn't raptured!

My friend suggested in light of all the not rapturing that happened, that I do a post on the mormon concept of rapture, and the book of revelations. 


First off, not a single mormon was worried about the end of the world yesterday. They cling to Matthew 24:36, "But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." So while no one knows when it will happen, you can be pretty damn sure it won't happen when someone pinpoints a time and date. They don't call it the rapture, they call it the Second Coming. When Christ will come in power and glory and rule on the earth for a thousand years. 


Before that happens, they believe things will get bad. Really really bad. Wars and Rumors of wars, Earthquakes in diverse places, floods famine. It will not be pretty. 


For myself, I was afraid of the end of days. I held onto the promises of the prophets that those who were prepared and righteous would be ok. I had my food storage--several cases of wheat and rice and beans, potatoes, sugar, salt, flour, dried milk and so on-- and my water storage ready. I made sure I had a current temple recommend I'm fuzzy on the details, because they really did scare me at the time, but the idea was that when Christ returned the saints would gather again in the New Jerusalem which would be established in Missouri. I always had the impression we would be pushing handcarts there and I felt very sorry for all the mormons in European countries, because the waters would not be safe. Those temple recommends were very important. They would be the entry pass into the Zion, the New Jerusalem. 


I have a friend who has offered to send me a copy of a very good lecture on the LDS conception of the Book of Revelation. When it comes I'll post a review and a link. I'll check in with a few other Ex-mormon friends who were maybe not as scared of the second coming way back when they were devout. 




if you have a question you'd like to ask an ex-mormon please email me at askanexmormon@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment